Monday, November 17, 2008

Looking Up!

Ava had tummy time yesterday and held her head up for the first time!



This picture just cracks me up! I had the flash on, and Ava's blue eyes really stand out! Here, we were having some "look at Mommy's crazy facial expressions time."



Good morning, everyone!

Monday is underway, and it feels like I have a thousand things to do! Anyone else out there feeling that? I am making a conscious choice, though, to try not get anxious and fretful about all of it. Most of the "things I have to do" are not as important as I often make them out to be! Perfection rearing its ugly head lately....

I'm aware of making a deliberate choice to simplify this holiday season and concentrate on family and friends. I'm trying my best to keep up with a Beth Moore Stepping Up Bible study with some women on Wednesdays, and I just want to sit and soak up the words I'm hearing - to look to Him who is enthroned above me and enthroned over all that I "have to do" and keep my eyes focused on Him.

How quickly my eyes can look down at the rather large plate before me. I watch myself as I pick up my fork and place this and that on the plate. Sometimes, I place things on my plate, and other times, other people place things on my plate! Know what I'm talking about?

The other day, I quickly became stressed about getting Ava's announcements finished, Christmas cards and Christening invitations picked out, thank you notes written and sent and making a Christmas stocking. Good grief! That plate looks pretty full! I won't tell you some of the things I was spooning onto my plate in addition to all of that! I knew something in my spirit was off, so I stopped and said, "Whoah." What is it I really have to do? The answer came back as love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind and others as myself. I didn't hear anything about perfect holiday decorating or the perfect baby announcment in there anywhere! Whew! What a relief!

When I look to Him and let Him define my "perfection" it's easier to let go of some of the "have tos." Right now, I have to fix my eyes on Him to get back on track and not try to keep up with my own crazy expectations of myself! Anyone else have crazy expectations of yourself, especially at this time of year?

My goal in the next weeks ahead is to be thankful and grateful for all that God has given to me and helped me through and to worship the newborn King... Two things on my plate.... The other things are really just sides and pats of butter. I'll get to those.

Lord, please help me focus on the main course this holiday season. May God bless each of you in the coming weeks.

No comments: