Monday, September 6, 2010

A "Wild" Birthday!

Ni hao, everyone!

We are seven days and counting to our flight to China! I have a few more posts from the summer I'm trying to get up before we leave! I have a little time while Ava naps today and while I take a break from my ever-shortening "to do" list. I really want to take a nap, but I'm forcing myself to stay awake as I hear it's not good to nap before the East! Packing is going well. Ava is almost completely better, and I had a crazy virus over the weekend that a Z-pack knocked out thankfully, so we're playing catch up around here on this Labor Day. Still leaving on the 13th for Beijing! I still can't believe I'm writing that! We're bringing Maia HOME!

On the 17th of July, my family drove up to our favorite mountain spot at Metcalf Bottoms to celebrate my birthday, and we were all in for some "wild" surprises. Never in my whole life growing up here have I seen what I'm about to show you. Maybe a few crawdads and trout in the river/picnic area, but that's it! During the few hours we were there, we saw a water snake catch a fish and eat it, a black bear get in the water a few feet from where we were playing in the river and a rattlesnake on a log near a well-traveled tubing path in the woods! We kept saying that we were going to see wild turkeys, a boar and a mountain lion next! It was crazy. We got some great pics of the wild animals we did see. We had a great time that day, and a few of the pictures show my aunts, Jill and Syd,and my cousin, Katie reacting to the news of our referral of sweet Maia! There's quite a few pics, so I'm going to try to get them loaded off and on throughout today. I may or may not have time to do captions but the pictures speak for themselves! :) Here's to fall weather, finally!


























































No comments: