Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Field Trips and Check-Ups

Hi, everyone,

I wanted to share a few more miscellaneous pre-Easter pictures before our fun weekend with Granddaddy, Grandma and Uncle Vince!

Mom and I took Ava to the mall one day a few weeks back, and I couldn't resist letting her ride one of those kiddie rides that I rode when I was a kid. For the price, I'm surprised it didn't spit out a real hot dog and soda for us!



Mimi and Ava






After the mall field trip, we met Daddy at Shinco to eat Chinese. We really like this place. It's close to home, and they make their food without MSG. Plus, I get to practice all of two Chinese words I know with them. I've been practicing a few more to break out in China. We bought Maia a doll a few years back that says a few useful phrases in Chinese. One of them is "Can we be friends?" It sound easy enough, so I'd been practicing for awhile, a long while. Finally, I thought I sounded just like the doll. So, I smiled proudly and tried it out on one of the servers who barely knows any English. Well, she looked at me like I had two heads. Confidence shattered. :) I then tried to recover and asked her if her family celebrates Chinese New Year. To help her understand, I started making firework motions and sounds in the air. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm nuts. Poor Maia. I'll probably embarrass her and Ava all the time! I'm good with chopsticks, so that's a plus.

One Chinese meal closer to Maia!



Here's a picture of the server who was unimpressed with my Chinese and who doted all over Ava.



The next day, we went to the doctor for our chicken-pox shot and camped out for quite awhile in one of the sunny rooms. Ava was a little trooper and had fun playing on the table with her kitty. We bring him along now to get shots, too. This was the first time she didn't boo hoo when she got a shot. The nurse and I just kept waiting, but no tears came. Hmmm... go figure.




After the doctor visit, I took Ava to our local Farmer's Co-Op to see the baby chicks, and she squeezed one a little too hard. It probably went back in its tub and said, "Run for your lives!"




Finally, to wrap up that week before Easter, we went to our church Easter Egg Hunt. We met the Butterworths there, who adopted Grace from China about a year and a half ago. Ava and Grace had a limit of 12 eggs they could put in their baskets. How do you convince a toddler to take eggs out of her basket? I think Ava had like 17 and Grace had 20 or so! We had a fun time together and look forward to more play dates in the future with Miss Grace and Maia!



New friends, Jim, Shannon and Grace Butterworth

I first met Shannon a few years back in Wal-Mart as I was stalking her. I have radar for Chinese babies, and I tend to change my course in stores to follow them around. Just last year, we were reintroduced at church, and she and I realized at about the same time that we had met a year earlier in the produce section of Wal-Mart. We are overjoyed to have friends who have also adopted a baby from China. Our hope is that Maia and Grace will grow up to be close friends who can share their hearts with one another.



Happy Easter, Ava!



Pictures from our family visit last weekend are up next!

No comments: