Friday, August 1, 2008

A Cup of Cold Water




My heart is thankful today and truly humbled by the number of people who have stood by our side during this journey. I wish I could recount in this blog all of the times that a kind word, a hug, and tear on our behalf or a petition before the Lord was offered for us and all of the people who have left indelible imprints on my heart. There are so many. They are the body of Christ, His arms and His hands to this traveler. I can not name all of you here, but I know God has seen what you have done for me and for us, and it's priceless and not forgotten. Thank you from the depths of my heart.

I truly believe that the Holy Spirit has prompted these folks along this journey to encourage me, because, oh how I've needed a kind word and encouragement. Often, I would run into someone or receive a note in the mail or an e-mail that was so timely. I believe that God puts people in our path to lift us up. I also believe that they have been vessels for Jesus to speak to me saying, "I'm here, I remember you, and you're not alone in your suffering." I want to share just one here today.

I opened the mailbox this past week to find a three-page letter from a dear sister in Christ who has stood beside me through the ups and downs of miscarriages, countless fertility treatments, surgeries and just plain old bad days. She is now in Johnson City, but she'll forever remain dear to my heart. Her writings to me began in 2002 after our first miscarriage. On any ordinary day, I could find a note from her in my mailbox lifting my spirits and urging me on to discover the children God has for me and Ben. I've tucked these notes away- every single one, and throughout the years, I've looked at them and remembered the kindness and compassion of this friend.

This week was no different in that I found a stuffed envelope in my mailbox addressed to me. It was from Johnson City, and I immediately knew who it was from. It contained three pages of writing and some coupons and such she thought would be helpful in the months to come.

Truly, she has a servant's heart, and I want her to know how much her words and just her remembrance of us has meant to me. When I've been thirsty for encouragement, she has been faithful to give me a cup of cold water.

"Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'

"Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?
And the King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

Thank you, Karen. I can see Jesus in you.

You are loved and appreciated so much. Great is your reward for your faithfulness and your giving to my heart. It has made a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I'm praying for you every day!
Thanks for sharing pictures of Roberto. I am no longer received Pathfinder class emails, so I feel "out of the loop."
Karen Anderson