Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Courageous Journey Home

*** Updated Friday morning 11:00.***

I just wanted to touch base with everyone and let you know that Ruthie is still very peaceful. Arrangements have been made, and we're still just waiting. I am so thankful that she's not suffering. It's been bittersweet going through photo albums. I just found one of her shooting a basketball that made me laugh out loud. I have such wonderful memories of our time together. Ruthie's 1st cousin, Merle, went home to be with Jesus last night, and I know she'll be a part of the welcoming committee! What a great reunion awaits her!

I'll try my best to post some more pictures of Ava this weekend. She enjoyed her first SNOW and she turned 5 months old January 21st. She's a hoot, and laughed for the first time yesterday while I was feeding her rice cereal. She is bringing my family joy in the midst of this difficult season.

Thank you so much for your prayers.



***Updated Tuesday evening 8:00.***

My spirit is still today, this week as we wait. My family is gathered, cousins in college are prepared to make the journey home, and my grandmother is so very peaceful. I went to see her again today. She squeezed my hand. I held on and on and on. She said "thank you" for water and smiled at her family with a glint in her eye at times. Yesterday, she held her arms upwards toward Heaven awaiting her journey home. If you're reading this, please pray for my family. My family has been through a lot in the last 11 years, and we're leaning hard on each other, the love and support of others and most importantly the hope we have in Jesus right now.

With all that said, in human terms, we're still hurting and not wanting to let Ruthie go.

Today, I'm finding myself at a loss for many words. I'm still. I'm preparing to go through photo albums and pull pictures. I'm asking the Lord for strength and His strong arm to hold up my family, each of us, and comfort our own individual aches. I heard a song by Mercy Me that speaks to exactly where I find myself this week. Songs are powerful in my life, and I have found such great peace in listening to these words.

Word of God, Speak....

Celebrating Mother's Day with Ruthie in 2008



Ruthie meets Ava Faith for the first time, born on her birthday, August 21st.




Hi, everyone,

I want to introduce you to my precious grandmother, who I lovingly call Ruthie. Her real name is Ruth, but I've always known her as Ruthie. Last week, my family found out she has advanced lymphoma, and I'm beginning to say goodbye to one of my most favorite people on Earth, someone who has impacted my life more than she'll ever know. She's heading home to be with Jesus and Paw, my grandfather, who is her beloved Earl. I wish this for her with all my heart as I know how dearly she has missed my grandfather these past 11 years and how much she longs to see Jesus face to face. It's just so very hard letting go and saying goodbye for now. I know I'll see her again someday, and that cancer will be gone, and the Alzheimer's will be healed. She'll be rejoicing soon. How my heart swells to think of her rejoicing in Heaven.

I love my family with all of my heart and would do anything for any of them. We're strong and have been through so much together through the years. We'll stay together. Paw and Ruthie, my grandparents, have been a light for all of us. My heart is simply full and overflowing with gratitude and love for them in my life. They have made a profound difference in my life.

I dedicate this first song on my playlist to my family. The first time I heard Josh Groban sing "You Raise Me Up," the second song on my playlist, I thought about my grandparents and the difference they made in my life. I dedicate that song to Ruthie. We're family forever. I love you all, and I'm always here for all of you.

We are family.

Breath of Heaven, hold us together. Lord Jesus, bring my family your comfort and bring us your peace. Cover us with your love and be the Lifter of our Heads. Hold Ruthie's hand. Thank you for the place you're preparing just for her.

Emily

1 comment:

Treva said...

Oh Emily- I know how much Ruthie and the rest of your family means to you. I will keep all of you in my prayers. I pray for comfort for Ruthie, and support for you and your family. I love you girl! Love, Treva