Thursday, September 17, 2009

How About That!

Ok. I have something to confess. I was an America's Got Talent junkie this season. I have never seen this show before, but Ben and I watched it one night, and I saw the bio of a man named Kevin Skinner and was hooked. I actually never saw his original audition, but I'd heard about it. For the last two or three shows, I've pretty much stopped everything to watch this show, to find out the "fate" of Kevin Skinner, the simple man from Kentucky who caught chickens for a living, who captured America's heart.

Well, in case you haven't heard, he won!!!! I haven't been this excited about someone winning a show since Miss Venezuela won the Miss World competion when I was in elementary school! I remember being so captivated by her- probably by her beauty and the way she carried herself. Now that I'm grown and further along on this journey of life, I was captivated by something different this time.

I looked up the original audition today, and I was struck by this simple man who has humility, who is genuine and honest. I was moved by this man considered common and poor. After watching how the audience, judges and MC reacted to him initially, I immediately thought about that verse in the Bible that says, "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

Kevin Skinner definitely didn't have the most talent or the best job. In the world's eyes, he didn't have much, but how incredibly rich his heart is. It made me pause.

I think the world needs more Kevin Skinners. I applaud his perseverance, his honesty, his humility and his being proud of where he comes from in this great big world.

He inspires me.

He reminds me of Jesus.

Sometimes, the world laughs at Jesus, even ridicules him. I remember reading that Jesus was so humble in front of his accusers. They mocked him, laughed at him, called him names, teased him about being the King of the Jews. I also remember reading that He answered them honestly and with love and compassion and sometimes, he remained quiet. He loved them fiercely, wept over Jerusalem because they rejected His love. And then He died. For them. For Us. For me.

We didn't deserve it, but He loved us that much. He wanted to save us from evil and death, from our sins and our failures and our mistakes. He was God who came to the earth as a simple man to love all people. He came to be the way for us to be reconciled to God after the fall that separated us from God. God knew after that happened that He would someday send his son to earth to walk among men and teach us how to live with honesty and humility and compassion.

Kevin Skinner made me think. Do I show those qualities? Do I love without reservation? Am I honest? Am I genuine? Am I humble? Am I compassionate? Do I have quiet confidence in the face of persecution?

Last night was about more than winning one million dollars and a headline show in Vegas. Check it out. Don't forget to pause the playlist music on my blog- right hand side- scroll down.

Here's the opening audition.



The winning moment.

No comments: