Thursday, July 3, 2008

Surrendering My Understanding


The journey is continuing this morning as I'm navigating two simultaneous adoptions that are COMPLETELY different. As many of you know, we're still "in the waiting" to adopt Maia Grace, a baby girl from China who will likely be 8-12 months old at the time of referral. Our paperwork log-in date for China is 4/28/06, and we're now in month 26 of waiting for her. When we began this process on June 9, 2005, we were told it would likely be a six to seven month wait. How that waiting has changed since then. Realistically, we expect to receive the matching referral sometime in the summer/fall of 2009, and we could not be more excited! We've waited for her for a very long time, and I simply can not imagine my emotions on that day!

Currently, we're walking through doors as they open to adopt an infant girl in Atlanta, GA due 8/24/08. This is the brand new, unexpected journey that began with a leap of faith this past May. After resigning my position as a sixth grade teacher because I thought we'd be in China in December of '07, I decided to work part-time at a local bakery here in town called Sweet Celebrations. After enjoying a few months of serving the public there, the owner's sister was in town from Atlanta, and we struck up a conversation about children, adoption and our long wait for our China referral. She had adopted a little girl domestically who is now eight. She told me about a 21-year old birthmother in Atlanta who wanted to make an adoption plan, and after much discussion, we decided to go for it. It was a giant leap of faith for us because we knew going into it, that it would likely not be an easy process and it may or may not work out. We didn't get a billboard either! China feels so comfortable, because I know Maia is coming home eventually. This is not so comfortable. I'm just trusting God to hold my hand as I step out of the boat onto the water. The winds and the waves are none of my concern. I just have to have faith and move forward toward Jesus.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, and I remember what He did for the Israelites when they were journeying in the wilderness and were frightened.

"So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness. And the Lord went before them by day in a pillard of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light , so as to go by day and night. He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people." Exodus 14:13

The emotional side is usually what I write about, but I wanted to write about the logistics part which is woven throughout these processes. There are TWO crucial documents that have to be updated throughout our wait for a China referral. Our US approval document expires every 18 months, and our federal fingerprinting expires every 15 months. I've kept up with this over the last two years, and in order to renew this government approval, we have had to update our homestudy, fill out a new government application called an I-600A, gather new background checks, medicals, letters of employment and provide verification of financial status. The first time we had to do this, we were give one free extension by the US government, meaning we didn't have to pay the $500 something fee. We were thankful for this, and completed renewal of US approval last summer. Well, guess what? Our documents are about to expire AGAIN, and we don't qualify for another free extension and the fee has gone up - which brings me to the title of this blog- surrender.

I just found out a few days ago, that since new Hague (a goverment system that helps international adoption countries have a smooth process) regulations are in place, we are now required to fill out a new application for government approval. It's called an I-800A. In years past, we have filled out an I-600A which is two pages. This new I-800 A is 16 pages. Is it hard? No. Can I pick up a pen and fill it out? Yes. So, what's my problem? I don't know - I guess it's submission. At the top of the form, it says "Form I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country." China is a Hague Convention country, and we're thankful for that as it has made the overall process smoother, but proving once again we'd be "suitable" is hard for me.

To be honest, there were tears this morning, as I watched the printer spit out page after page that I would need to fill out. As I moped around the kitchen, moaning and groaning in my spirit, I felt the Lord saying, "Surrender your understanding." Just fill it out. Don't let your focus be on that it's not fair and that we've done this three times. This is what I have to do, and God can give me peace to be content IN all circumstances. No complaining - just surrender to pay the necessary fees and complete the necessary paperwork.

So, I'm off to pick up my pen and decipher these crazy questions about pardon, amnesty, rehabilition decrees, other acts of clemency etc. I think I answer "NO" to that question, by the way. And for the umpteenth time, my name is!!!!

I remembered the song "On My Knees" in the kitchen when I was stewing about all of this. Whatever you're "stewing" about - I hope these songs about surrendering and falling on our knees in our helplessness brings you encouragement and strength. May you be blessed today...

No comments: