Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ants in the Kitchen...

Here's Ava at five weeks today! The beautiful blankets behind her were made by Sandy and Cindy Goodson - my sewing heroes! :) Thank you, Cindy and Sandy!



Here's Ava and her cool background shot by the diaper cake we had at our neighborhood shower last Saturday. We had a great time! The pink blanket was knitted by my French neighbor, yet another sewing hero of mine! Thank you, Huguette!




I'm a little behind on my blogging! It seems like every time I try to come in here and write something meaningful, I get distracted - which is a good thing, because it's usually Miss Ava that's doing the distracting! :) So, we'll see how I do today.

Being the amateur photographer I am, I decided to try to set up some background shots today for her five weeks old pictures. A great friend of ours is coming by tonight to do some professional (knows what she's doing) shots, but this is my stab at photo creativity! So many people have talked about her big pink bow, and you'll see that she wearing it in these photos.

Ava is five weeks old today, and Ben and I are settling in to more of a routine. She's now 10lbs and is sleeping much better at night, which means that I'm a little more coherent during the day!

Every day proves to be different either in the way she's growing or how I'm continuing to grow. Lately, I'm found myself nesting even more than I did this summer, wanting everything to have a place and there to be order! I realized that, ugh, perfection was rearing its ugly head this week, and I had to let go of that once again! There are still ants coming in my windowsill in the kitchen for the bizillionth time, Bear still doesn't have his flea meds, the laundry is greeting people at the door, the thank you notes are piling up, and I think there's a formula stain trail on the nursery floor and we're out of toothpaste.

Ah, to sit back and just enjoy the moment. That is what I'm trying to do today. I made some iced tea and visited with Marna, a friend of mine who came by to visit. Sweet time, sweet friend, sweet tea.

The ants are still marching... pesky little sugar ants...

There's a million things I could be doing with my time right now, but I wanted to continue the blog I started in hopes that it will continue to encourage people I know and don't know!

As I thought about how that hole in my heart had been filled by Ava and how suddenly I was strugging with new things, I was reminded ONCE AGAIN, that the things of this world can never completely satisfy. I was striving in vain this week to create a perfect home and get a scrapbook started and get a keepsake box in order, and, and, and.... fight the ants in the kitchen!

"In returning and rest you shall be saved; In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15.

Well, I know that verse, and I found myself thinking about it today somewhere between washing bottles, putting Ava down for a nap and eating tuna.

I still need God. He has ended my struggle, and life is now in the next phase, and I still need him every moment of every day. I want to return today and rest and find strength in Him and let go of my wordly perfection efforts.

Anybody else out there struggle with trying to be perfect?

Honestly, that's an ongoing battle for me, and I am going to try to take off the perfection hat today, and the battle the ants helmet, and just enjoy Ava and the 70 degree weather.

Ahh.. that's better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, I was given your blog address (if that is even what you call it) by Kathy. I purposly went to the first entry and went through your journey. I have cried and laughed and cried some more. I am so happy for you. Your story is such an inspiration and you are, as you have always been, a beautiful writer. You need to publish your story. God bless you, Ben, Ava, and Maia.
Love ya,
Whitney
PS You need to bring Ava by MIS

The Charton's said...

Emily, I have been reading your blog since you guys were in Atlanta waiting to bring Ava home, I have cired so many times while reading. Tears of joy and sadness, your story is very touching and I have really enjoyed seeing God bless your family in so many ways. You do a really good job of writing and making your reader feel what you are going through. My impression of you is a sweet women of God, who has a very kind heart and sweet spirit. I was so suprised to see your words of encouragment on my blog, thank you. So many times I have thought of leaving you a message to let you know how much I have enjoyed your blog. I did want to let you know that your cousin, Jennifer Moore, is the one that passed your blog site onto our family. She is married to my mom's brother. Kiss sweet Ava for me and enojoy all of these precious newborn moments, even the sleepless nights=)