Friday, January 22, 2010

Special Visitors

In the late summer of 1999, I accepted a position to teach sixth grade mathematics at Maryville Middle School. This particular class of students became so dear to me, and there are many that have become not just former students, but friends. Many are finishing college now and are engaged, and it has been so special to watch these guys and gals grow up. I have a deep love for each of them and wish them all the very best.

On New Year's Eve day, I opened the front door to a very special visit. This next group of photos is of a family that has become so precious to me because of a student I had that 1999 school year who had just moved here with her family from Nagoya, Japan. My relationship with Manami Yamanaka and her family has grown throughout the years, and I would travel the ocean to tell them how much they mean to me. Manami and her Dad are in Michigan, working and studying, her brother Satoshi is at Elon and her Mom, Kumiko, and little brother, Yusuke, are here in Maryville.

Kumiko, Manami, Ava and Takanosuke



At a very young age, probably middle school, the Lord planted a fierce love for Japanese people in my heart. My journey so far has been dotted with encounters with Japanese people. I can see the Lord's hand in so many of the encounters, and I know it's not just coincidence.

Jesus living in my heart and changing me from the inside out means many things - salvation, peace, trust, freedom, and also His love for other people. I've always felt that He gave me a special love for the nation of Japan for a reason. I honestly think He's given me a taste of how passionately He feels about them.

Some time in the fall or spring of early 2000, Ben and I attended a missions weekend at our church and we sat in on a talk from two missionaries to Japan that our church supports. They showed a video about the people of Japan that night, and I remember something very strange but wonderful happening to me. I began weeping, but it wasn't a weeping that was normal. I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. I remember how warm they were and how constant they were. I've always thought it was a spiritual cry- almost as if the Lord was breaking my heart for that nation and its people.

Thus began a series of encounters with Japanese people throughout the years that continues to this day. I pursue this family and many others and my dear friend, Junko, with earnest prayer. I can't speak their language very well- I've learned quite a bit, but I'm not fluent - but the Holy Spirit can speak on their behalf and make intercession for these precious friends of mine. I'm trusting that He's setting up opportunities for them to hear the gospel in His timing. I've tried by utmost at times to present it to them, but one thing I've learned, is that it's not me that saves. It's the Holy Spirit, and oh, how I rely on Him and trust Him!

I often tell the Lord. "Lord, you KNOW how much they MEAN to me."

I pray that He'll continue to break my heart for this great nation and gracious people and that I'll continue to have divine encounters, be them in a classroom or on my sophomore hall in college, or on aisle 5 of Wal-Mart or in Jazzercise.

Accepting Christ into my heart long ago included Him developing a love in me that I don't fully understand and never knew was possible - a love for the people of Japan.

Kokoro wo komete - from the heart.

This is Tyler-san. His real Japanese name is Takanosuke. He and Ava had a ball together. Ava was very taken with him!



Us girls



Me and sweet Manami. She's not a sixth grader anymore!



This is a New Years Tradition in Japan and was their gift to Ava. Her name is Fuji and it means spring blossoms.

No comments: