Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Beauty for Ashes; The Oil of Joy for Mourning



"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, to the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.

O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever!"

I woke up early Saturday morning with the sunshine streaming in the room and joy in my heart. As I readied myself and put Ava's party dress on, I was in awe that I was getting ready to attend a baby shower being held for me! A neighbor stopped me on the way out of the neighborhood and asked me why I was so dressed up. I said, "I'm on my way to a baby shower... for me!" How long I've dreamed of that moment, not of all the presents, but of all the friends gathered around me to rejoice with me. These same friends have gone down into the trenches of sorrow and despair with me countless times throughout the last eight years. They were there when I screamed "Why, oh Lord" and cried and shook my fists. They were there when I was silent with my tears. They've seen me at my absolute worst and listened to my pleas for understanding with patient ears. I wish I could explain what each one has said and done to shore up my spirits, sharpen me and encourage me to keep going. They stood beside me throughout this journey and did not lose sight of hope for me.

My dear friends, those who were able and not able to attend the shower, may you be richly rewarded for your faithfulness to me. This was one of the happiest days of my life, and one I'll tuck away in my heart to reflect on many years from now.

Thank you for celebrating His faithfulness!

Ok, on with the pictures! If you're tuning in right when I post, it will take me a minute to get the photos organized and labeled on the post.

I attended another beautiful shower thrown on Sunday by my closest friends at the Intermediate School where I taught sixth grade on the Stingray team! I'll post those pictures hopefully later this week to allow time for friends and families to enjoy these first pictures and post.

Also, Sunday night, I paid a visit to the ER AND I got an interesting call from Senator Lamar Alexander's office about our China adoption on Monday. I'll be posting a lot in the next few days! Here we go with the first shower!

ps- I have been told and know that there are some of you out there that have been following my journey that need encouragment because of your own struggles. If you are waiting on the Lord, don't you dare give up! He has something planned for you and will NEVER forsake you! Your faith is being tested, and you are being refined as silver.

If any of you are reading this that are struggling with infertility, I would love to talk with you. Leave me a comment with your e-mail, and I promise I'll get back with you. You are not alone.
_____________________________________________________________________________________


This is the invitation picked out for me at Dandelions. It's so beautiful and so me! You guys know me well!



Shannon Walls made the cake to look like my invitation! She is very talented, and it was absolutely gorgeous. The cake was so huge that I still have a fourth of it left in my refrigerator!



Kriste Arendale and Candice Gardner greeted me at the front door, and I saw this little table set up with my invitation, party favors for the guests and a black and white photo Tamyra Parks took of me and Ava weeks ago. Jamey Blair surprised me with that gift. I was blown away by everything you all did to make my shower special.



Being the Southern girl that I am, my friends decided to have a Southern brunch for everyone, complete with homemade biscuits with ham, deviled eggs, fruit salad, Kristie's famous pimiento cheese sandwiches, shrimp and James Milhollin's famous jalapeno cheese grits, hashbrown casserole, Jama's famous sausage cream cheese wheels, orange juice, coffee punch, and of course... sweet tea! Everything was scrumptious!



Jamey Blair and Beth Milhollin had "secret meetings" to discuss party planning. I always seemed to call one of them when they were in the act! Secrets... secrets...



Kristie Arendale and Jama Anderson (foreground) helped to plan my shower as well! I love you both so much. Also, seated in the back, are Kelly Tate and Jane Russell - true encouragers along this journey. Thank you, all!



Candice Gardner was also in on the planning and is holding Miss Ava in her new hat given to her at the shower. She looked so cute in it! There's a matching brown dress with shoes to go with it. We'll be playing dress up soon!




These two precious women, Dena and Kate, worked with me at the bakery where I learned about Miss Ava! Kate, on the right, came up to me at the movie theater where I was watching 27 Dresses and asked me if I'd be interested in working part-time at the bakery. We both know that it was a divine appointment so that I could find out about Ava. Thank you, Kate! We've both seen God's hand in this as the events of the summer unfolded, and we'll never be the same.



My dear friends, Lisa and Madeleine, were also a part of the team planning for my shower! I love you, both! Lisa (left) has an incredible heart for missions and is headed to the National Championship for tennis in Orlando soon! Good luck, Lisa! Madeleine (right) can bring sunshine and joy into any room that she's in! She would tell me, Felicidados! Congratulations! Thank you for all those times you've been on your knees for me...




My friends gathered around us to celebrate! Thank you all! I love you!




Ava and my Mom just having a moment together during the shower. Ava was SO good! She was all smiles.



I had to show you this piggy bank with a tutu on! Alette Chase, a dear friend of mine who owns Artistic Dance Unlimited, gave this to Ava along with some ballet shoes!



My sweet friend, Karen Nolan gave Ava her first Christmas outfit. The leggings are so adorable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! I have been reading your blog for awhile now. A friend of mine pointed me in your direction. I have been so encouraged by reading your journey & now I am hooked on seeing pics of beautiful Ava. My husband and I are awaiting on our own promised baby and I have prayed about contacting you, but you asked for it today so I took that as a yes! =) I know you are busy as a new mommy, but I would love to email sometime and share our own "fertility" journey with you. Thank you for the encouragement and for your obedience to post when the Lord knew what I needed to read. Have a blessed day!
Martha