Saturday, October 4, 2008

Blessings and Battles







Good morning, everyone,

Here are some fun pics of Ava and us for you to see! :) Tamyra Parks took these for us last week. Thanks, Tamyra!

On a different note, this is a difficult blog for me to write, but I'm asking for your prayers and petitions on behalf of our newly formed family.

Throughout our journey this side of Heaven, blessings and battles often go hand and hand. Sometimes, we are equipped by the Lord to stand our ground and fight for what is right or we're instructed to be still and silent and wait. The two adoption journeys we're pursuing are unfolding to be examples of these two truths. One is domestic; one is international; both are a part of our living and breathing and hoping and trusting as we've prayed countless times for God to expand our family. Both children, though one is now known and one is not, are deep within our hearts. One is named Ava Faith, and the other, across the ocean, is Maia Grace.

My heart is full of wonder still at this little life that is in our home, and I am so grateful for God's surprise gift to us in the midst of our over two-year waiting for Maia Grace. We were content to only wait for Maia, and as we waited, God met me at a bakery and instructed me and Ben to GO to Atlanta and adopt a baby. We honestly walked through doors as they opened to bring Ava Faith into our home this summer. It was shaky and unsure, and at times, difficult, but I felt and witnessed God's guiding hand as every part of the journey unfolded and was ultimately out of our control- A blessing as unexpected as snowfall in April.

However, a new battle is beginning to bring Maia Grace home, one in which we believe that we're called to stand up and fight for. I want to let you know that we still need heavy prayer cover for Maia. As recently as yesterday, we ran into some very unexpected obstacles and opposition from our international agency because of our domestic adoption that I can't elaborate on here and that seem insurmountable and honestly scary. I know that those who wait on the Lord will not be ashamed, and that He remains faithful to the promise He gave me years ago of bringing her home. He has confirmed Maia's coming to my heart over and over again, and I know that what the Lord has purposed, He will do. It is the Lord who brings families together.

On the heels of this great and unexpected blessing of Ava, a battle is ensuing to bring Maia home. Am I surprised? Yes and No. Yes, in that I didn't think we would face some of what we're facing, especially from our agency, but no, in that I know the enemy is still out there seeking to steal and destroy. It is him and the powers of darkness that we're truly fighting.

Ben and I are about to engage in a difficult and very unexpected trial to try to bring Maia home. I know God will equip us and help us in our time of need. I also know that it is the Lord who fights for us and for Maia. I know with absolute certainty that Maia was meant to be part of our family.

Again, please pray for us as we move forward this year to bring our other daughter home- a little girl who has been growing in our hearts for 29 months, a little girl who maybe hasn't been born yet across the ocean, but one that I would go to the ends of the Earth to find and bring home.

God holds this child and is watching this new conflict unfold. He's not surprised. God is so many things - tender and compassionate but also a warrior and a mighty King. We also have a Helper in the Holy Spirit, who intercedes for us when we don't know how to pray. I know He is interceding for us to my King about the very recent difficulty that we're running into. I believe it is still the enemy's (Satan) desire to thwart plans to bring Maia home. I also believe that it is not flesh and blood that we're fighting against but principalities and princes of darkness that are seeking to upset plans to bring her into our family. He has already lost the battle, though, because "the Lord will contend with those who contend with you." Isaiah 49: 25 Thanks, Kathy! Perfect timing...

My specific prayer today is that Ben and I would be equipped by the Lord to move forward wisely as we fight a very beaurocratic red-tape process. Very high emotions are involved. We will fight for Maia, but it's not going to be easy. Honestly, me feeling like a momma warrior is mixed with me shaking in my boots right now. This is a very scary time. She's our daughter, and, again, I will fight for her to the end, and I know Ben and I won't fight alone. The Lord's hand is mighty to save, and He loves the orphan and knows Maia's name.

We need the Lord's strength to do this. We're joyfully tired right now because we have a new baby, and in human terms, I feel that I lack the strength to fight, so I'm praying for supernatural help and strength to enter into this.

I'm putting on my armor today. "Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Above all, taking the shield of FAITH with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying always will all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints." Ephesians 6 :14-20

My Deliverer is coming... My Deliverer is standing by... That's the second song on my playlist now. I'm reminded of it's truth from Rich Mullins.

Psalm 40:17 "But I am poor and needy; Yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God."

Father, please help us. I stand on Your promises to bring our little girl, Maia Grace, home. I remember and recount all that you've shown me on this journey to her. We are your humble servants and the advocates for a little girl yet unknown to us but so known to You.

Love and peace to everyone. I'll keep posting new pictures and fun times with Miss Ava and keep everyone updated on the status of Maia. Our story to her can be found at www.journeytomaia.com.

No comments: